The Scottish Transitions Forum is a membership organisation which aims to improve the experiences of young people with additional support needs (ASN), including those on the autistic spectrum, as they move into adulthood.
They have developed a set of transition guidelines for professionals from all sectors including:
- Health and social care
- Third sector
- Local government
The guide sets out 7 principles:
- Planning and decision making should be carried out in a person-centred way
- Support should be coordinated across all services
- Planning should start early and continue up to age 25
- Young people should get the support they need
- Young people, parents and carers must have access to the information they need
- Families and carers need support
- A continued focus on transitions across Scotland
The Scottish Transitions Forum also set out some good practice examples of how services are using the principles outlined above to support young people through transition.
Date added: 30 March 2017