Preferences:

Autism/Asperger's and Fibromyalgia

15 replies (Jump to last post)

Pages

SarahF86

Offline

I'm an assistant psychologist and in the practice where I work we have begun to notice a pattern  of people, more often women, who have an ASD and either they or another family member in their direct line (e.g. grandparent, child) also has an ASD, and Fibromyalgia. I started doing some research about a possible link, and while there is precious little published work, there seem to be many people experiencing both in their family line. Some research suggests that it may be that both are related to particular genetic differences, like Fragile X syndrome.

Has anyone else noticed this link? Does anyone have both in their family?

Edited on February 23, 2017 - 9:10am

AutismAdvocate

September 21, 2017 - 4:53pm

Until the NHS starts doing genetic testing (which it won't due to wanting to avoid costs) on people with ASD the link will continue to be ignored.  There is a mass of information out there about the link between ASD and EDS.  Some research evidence and a wealth of anecdotal evidence.

November 29, 2017 - 9:33pm

I have fybromyligia, I think I have autism, my mum had autism undiagnosed but definite. I have four daughters, two definite with autism, and pretty sure the other two are on spectrum too, I have a son who lacks focus, loves computer games and has trouble fitting in, he is the cuddliest boy, so suspecting it's not just effected the females. I might be wrong but I think my fybromyligia is due to me being wired differently and the stress of trying to function in this world sends pain signals through my body when distressed I'm not a psychiatrist or physician. I'm a mum.

September 26, 2018 - 11:19am

I'm into a very particular situation about my family and me. About aspie, about multiple sclerosis, lupus, brechet, fibromyalgia and many more... It's a rare case where everyone in the family have these problems. I'd like to speak with someone highly specialized in this. Until now, the best italian doctors didn't solve anything.

If you are interested and curious in studying a particular case please contact me.

many thanks

gianluca.casnici@me.com

September 26, 2018 - 4:39pm

SarahF86 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed this link? Does anyone have both in their family?

Hi Sarah, I live in a particular condition where everyone in my family has sclerosis multiple, lupus, brechet, fibromyalgia and I think I personally Aspie ( just me did the test ). Can we speak? It's a very 'interesting' case for science. Best doctors didn't understand what's happening...... if you interested to know more please contact me. I would really appreciate.

IzzyDD

September 29, 2018 - 6:00pm

I would be very interested to be involved in your research.  I am diagnosed fibromyalgia and M.E.  I am not diagnosed ASD but believe I am high functioning autistic and am trying to follow up on this with my GPs.  My youngest son was advised by an educational psychologist that he had aspergers traits (around 10 years ago) - we never followed up on this and I regret that decision.  My eldest son exhibits stimming behaviours and is very stressed much of the time, especially during any changes.  We all have meltdowns, before I thought about ASD I thought we were all "just" highly struung, but not about why.  The more I write the more I feel like I have not been a great parent  :(

Pages