Lucy Sanctuary is a paediatric speech and language therapist working for the NHS and in private practice. Lucy kindly agreed to be interviewed for Network Autism when she attended the National Autistic Society Professional Conference in 2017.
In this video, Lucy discusses the reasons why autistic young people may self-harm and how professionals can help and support them.
You can view the full interview or clips of the individual questions below.
Lucy has also written an article for us exploring how speech and language therapy approaches can help reduce self-harm in autistic children.
Individual interview clips
- Can you tell us how you first became interested in autism?
- Can you tell us about your current work?
- What factors might lead a young autistic person to harm themselves or others?
- How can professionals support families and young autistic people to prevent harmful behaviour?
- What are the benefits of using speech and language therapy with autistic children and young people?
- How do you feel cognitive behavioural therapy can support autistic children and young people?
Date added: 7 June 2017