In this article Caroline Smith, Specialist Educational Psychologist and licensed FRIENDS trainer, provides her top 5 tips for developing emotional wellbeing and promoting mental health in young people with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Dr Smith has also written an article for Network Autism, outlining some of the specialist approaches to improving emotional wellbeing.
Top 5 tips
Improving emotional wellbeing and mental health
- Let the young person know every day, and throughout the day, that they are cared for, loved and valued.
- Directly teach about, model and normalise emotions.
- Teach a range of relaxation skills and support their routine practice.
- Develop friendship/contact groups both within the school and the wider community.
- Teach children to ‘look on the bright side of life’, encouraging helpful and optimistic thinking.
These top tips are meant only as a very general guide to what to think about. You can find further information on this subject below.
Author: Dr Caroline Smith
Date added: 13 September 2015